OPEN FORUM

1. The Chairman reported that she had had a meeting with Inspector Franklin and SLM today and it had been agreed that a SLM car would be provided from next week paid for by the Police for the Sedlescombe PCSO.

2. The Chairman reported that she had been informed by a resident of Crazy Lane that coaches are being directed down Crazy Lane by satellite navigation systems and are having problems because of the narrowness of the Lane.  The Clerk would ask East Sussex County Council whether a width restriction could be imposed on the Lane.

3. Cllr Martin informed the meeting that five full builders’ bags had recently been dumped in the Step Back in Time field in Hurst Lane.  He will deal with disposal.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 4 JULY 2006 IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL, 19:05 TO 20:45

PRESENT:  Cllr Mrs V Wright (Chairman of the Council), Cllrs P Martin, Mrs P Glew, Mrs J Mitchell, N Foord, R Dellow, Mrs M Irwin, W Cameron (late arriving), A Rand (Vice-Chairman of the Council).  Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer:  Mrs P Raymond

C06/07.46 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.  W Cameron for his late arrival.

C06/07.47 MINUTES.  The Chairman was authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 13/06/06.

C06/07.48 INTERESTS.  Members were reminded to disclose personal interests in matters on the agenda, the nature of any interest and whether the Member regarded the interest as prejudicial under the terms of the Code of Conduct.

C06/07.49 UPDATES ON MATTERS RAISED AT THE LAST TWO COUNCIL MEETINGS HELD ON 09/05 AND 13/06/06.

49.1 Footpath 7b, dog latches (C06/07.15).  See footpath report. (C06/07.51.1)

49.2 Pavilion (C06/07.19.1).  Following joint meetings of Sports Association committee members and members of the Parish Council, an application for demolition of the old pavilion and construction of a new one had been submitted.  It had been agreed that Stamco could put up a sign during construction in exchange for a discount on materials.  A sign 8’x3’ was expected.  The Council would prefer a banner-type sign that must be removed on completion of the building.

49.3 Proposed Sedlescombe Emergency Community Excise (C06/07.24.2).  Cllr Martin had contacted other members of the working group and it was suggested that a meeting of the Working Group should be held to update the Sedlescombe Emergency Plan.  The Clerk had received a visit from a resident of Whydown Hill who had had the water supply to her property shut off for fourteen hours on 21 June.  She had complained to the Water Company that no alternative water had been offered.  In reply, the Water Company had said that a water bowser and bottled water had been made available in the Village.  However, she had checked residents in Chapel Hill and none had been contacted in any way.  It appeared that several vulnerable elderly people in The Street had also been left without water.  The Chairman suggested that the Emergency Working Group should consider what could have been done to help these people locally.

49.4 Community Waste Action Grant Application (C06/07.24.3).  Cllrs Mrs Glew and Cllr Mrs Irwin declared their personal interests as trustees of the Village Hall and in accordance with the members’ Code of Conduct remained in the room.  As part of the community waste action grant application, it had been suggested that a wall rack for leaflets is produced.  The idea had been approved by the Village Hall Committee.  RESOLVED:  That the Council approves in principle payment for the work by the Parish Council – delegated to the Finance Committee to consider a quote for the work.

49.5  Sedlescombe Lift Scheme (C06/07.24.7).  Cllr Mrs Glew reported that the Scheme is going well.  All the drivers had contacted their own Insurance Companies and had been told that it is in order for them to take part in the Scheme.  Cllr Mrs Glew will collect the drivers’ records in a couple of months so that the Scheme can be reviewed.

49.6 Councillors’ inspections of street nameplates.  (C06/07.24.11).    It was reported that  councillors’ inspections of nameplates are complete.  Two signs are needed where there have not been any before – 1) New Road (on A21) and 2) northerly Stream Lane junction with B2244.  Four others are in relatively urgent need of attention.  These are:  1) Bottom of Chapel Hill, 2) Both ends of Crazy Lane and 3) The Green.  RESOLVED:  That the Council requests Rother District Council to install or replace these nameplates over the next two years and to reconsider the other signs in year 3 onwards.

49.7 Dog Control Orders and other new powers under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.  Members had been provided with a report by the Clerk.  Cllr Mrs Wright had attended a working party at Rother last week.   She reported that Cabinet is being asked to approve the introduction of fixed penalty notices and restrictions on noisy alarms for the area.  Rother had not decided what to do about dog orders but it appeared that they would only be introduced on Rother land.  In areas where there are dog control byelaws, these will stay unless dog control orders are introduced by the District or Parish Council.  If the Parish Council was to make dog control orders in Sedlescombe, it would be necessary to appoint someone to issue fixed penalty notices (not a councillor but could be the PCSO).  A PCSO would not need to be trained but anyone else would.  The Chairman also stressed that, if a person did not pay the fixed penalty notice, the Parish Council would have to take the matter through the courts which could be costly.  RESOLVED:  That the Parish Council considers that the procedure is too complicated for the Parish Council to take on.  However, Rother should be informed about current Sedlescombe Parish Council dog byelaws and areas such as Red Barn Field where a dog control order could be helpful, if Rother would impose it.

49.8  Proposed footway/road markings in front of Queen’s Head (06/07.44).  The Council was still waiting for a reply from East Sussex Highways regarding whether the land in front of the Queen’s Head is highway.  The Clerk was asked to refer the matter to Cllr Jones if no reply is received in the next few weeks.  The landlady of the Queen’s Head had suggested road markings might be sufficient to stop parking outside the Queen’s Head which, in turn, would improve the road safety for pedestrians.

C06/07.50  MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETINGS
50.1  Crime & Safety.  The Clerk read the Minutes of the Meeting of the Committee held that morning.  RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Meetings of the Crime & Safety Committee held on 16/05/06 and 04/07/06 are received and, where necessary, recommendations approved.

50.2  Planning Committee.  RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Meetings of the Planning Committee held on 09/05, 30/05 and 27/06/06 are received.

50.3 Best Value & Community Projects Committee.  RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Meeting of the Best Value & Community Projects Committee held on 13/06/06 are received.

50.4  Finance Committee.  RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Meeting of the Finance Committee held on 27/06/06 are received.

C06/07.51  WORKING GROUP REPORTS
51.1 Footpaths Working Group.  Cllr Dellow reported as follows:
1.       Dog latch fittings are required on Fp7a, east of the churchyard;  the owner would need to give his permission because his fence will need cutting. 
2.       The stile on Fp7b at its junction with Churchland Lane needs attention. 
3.       Fp13 - the gate opposite the vineyard is awaiting installation.
4.       Fingerposts required at the junction of Fp 13 and 12b.
5.       Work needed to the stile on Fp 15a in Compasses Lane.

51.2 Environment Working Group.  Members had been provided with Cllr Dellow’s report.  Members discussed the proposed Reduction of Waste Leaflet which Cllr Dellow and the Clerk were working on.  RESOLVED:  That an 8-page Reduction of Waste leaflet should be produced by the Clerk to be sent out to Sedlescombe households with the September Bulletin to include a list of addresses for recycling batteries.  Cllr Dellow suggested this programme could include the Re-think Rubbish bus in the Village and promotion of green cones, wormeries and Johannas.  Cllr Dellow reported that there are about ten to twelve swifts nesting in the church eaves.  It was agreed that he should speak to Churchwarden David Green asking him to ensure that the holes are not blocked up.  Cllr Dellow would like to launch a “bee protection initiative” in Red Barn, including possibly planting teasels.  He had walked the Pestalozzi Estate with Edward Mayer and the possibility of building a sand martin bank there, in association with RSPB, is to be investigated. 

The Chairman expressed the Council’s appreciation of the work of these groups and thanked Cllr Dellow for his valuable input.

C06/07.52 CLERK’S REPORT (herewith).  In addition, the Clerk reported receipt of the Pestalozzi Newsletter, Clerks & Councils Direct and the Local Council Review.

C06/07.53 REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES
53.1 Trustee of Village Hall.  Cllr Mrs P Glew and Cllr Mrs M Irwin declared their personal interests as Trustees of Sedlescombe Village Hall (Cllr Mrs Glew is the Council’s representative).  Cllr Mrs Glew reported that the shelving in Committee Room 2 is complete with £500 received from East Sussex County Council and £500 from the Village Hall Sports Club.  The main hall is due to be redecorated in the next few months.  Grants are sought for some sort of height barrier at the entrance to the car park.  The Playgroup has secured a grant for a storage shed and all-weather surfacing in the play area.

53.2 Sports Association Committee.  Cllr Martin and Cllr Mrs J Mitchell declared their personal interests as members of the Sports Association Committee (Cllr Martin is the Council’s representative on the Committee).  Cllr Martin reported that he had missed the last meeting of the Committee.  He had, however, met with the Rother Tree Officer and Ashley Douch to discuss removal of some of the trees on the pavilion site.

53.3 Rother Association of Local Councils.  Cllr Mrs Wright and Cllr Mrs Glew declared their personal interests as the Council’s representatives on RALC.  Cllr Mrs Wright reported on the last meeting of RALC.

53.4 Rural Rother Youth Forum.  Nothing to report.

C06/07.54  TREE WARDEN.  Cllr Martin reported that he had inspected the trees on the grass verge at the Brede Lane car park and had done the required work.

C06/07.55 CLERK’S PLAYGROUND REPORTS. 
55.1  Riverside:  John F Cook had noted at this week’s inspection that a tree at the playground has died.  Cllr Martin to inspect.  The Riverside Playground refurbishment is currently underway, due to be completed next Monday when a post-installation inspection will take place.  The spare parts and paint have arrived.  The official opening is expected to take place in September.  Unusually, there has been very little income at the tennis courts during the end May/June period.  The Chairman commented that, when the sports pavilion has been replaced, it might be possible to encourage a tennis club to be restarted.

55.2 East View Terrace Kickabout Area:  nothing new to report.

55.3 East View Terrace Play Area.  Nothing further heard from Orbit Housing Association.  The Chairman reported that she had seen it the previous Saturday when it was untidy with an overflowing litter bin.

C06/07.56 BANK RECONCILIATION AT END MAY & JUNE 2006.  The following statements were received by the Council.

Bank reconciliation




















Parish Council meetings

 

 






BANK RECONCILIATION AT END JUNE 2006

 

 

Financial year ending 31 March 2007

 

 

Balance as per bank statements at 30 June 2006

£

£

Barclays Bank Community Account

 

 

Petty Cash

616.18

 

West Bromwich Building Society

2.77

 

Alliance & Leicester Building Soc

34676.89

 

 

32512.15

 

Plus Purchase VAT

 

67807.99

From Rother, Agency Income Car Park Maintenance

507.20

 

 

158.82

 

 

 

666.02

Less uncleared withdrawals from Barclays Bank

 

 

102239 Sedlescombe Village Hall

 

 

102241 Petty cash

-32.50

 

102244 Southern Counties Landscapes

-33.65

 

Creditors

-374.82

 

Sales VAT

-1096.35

 

 

-79.10

 

 

 

-1616.42

 

 

66857.59

The net balances reconcile to the income and expenditure

 

 

account at end of May 2006 as follows:

 

 

 

 

 

Opening balance 1 April 2006

 

 

Add:  income April 06 to June 06

 

63155.57

Less:  expenditure April 06 to June 06

 

16064.68

VAT Rounding

 

-12362.69

 

 

0.03

 

 

66857.59

C06/07.57  CHEQUES TO BE PAID. RESOLVED:  That payment of the following cheques be ratified or approved:

No.

Cheque

Payee

Purpose

Breakdown

£

Total

£

June 2006

 

 

 

 

 

05013

 

 

Local Council Administration

53.45

 

05018

 

 

Playing Field Asset Plan

38.77

 

05020

 

 

Phone

28.39

 

06001

 

 

Travel & internet, June

29.05

 

06006

 

 

Computer purchases

1341.14

 

 

102238

Mrs P Raymond

Various totalled

 

1490.80

06002

102239

Sedlescombe Village hall

Hall hire, May 2006

 

32.50

06003

102240

R Wood

Mowing

 

150.00

06004

102241

Petty Cash

 

 

33.65

06005

102242

Mrs P Raymond

Salary, June 2006

 

956.32

06009

102243

Mrs P Fisher

Internal Audit

 

80.00

06011

102244

Southern Counties Landscapes

Mowing, Green, Red Barn, Car Park

 

374.82

 

 

 

 

 

3118.09

06007

 

Transfer from West Bromwich BS

 

 

3000.00

July 2006

 

 

 

 

 

06014

102245

Serco Local Govt – Eastbourne & Rother

Dog bin emptying 3 bins @ £3.61/bin

 

165.43

06015

102246

Wicksteed Leisure

Playground equipment parts and paint

 

374.83

06016

102247

Mrs V Wright

Chairman’s allowance

 

200.00

06017

 

 

Maintenance of offices

200.00

 

06010

 

 

Domain name registration

6.09

 

07001

 

 

Travel & internet, July

29.05

 

 

102248

Mrs P Raymond

 

 

235.14

06018

102250

R Wood

Mowing

 

150.00

07002

102251

Mrs P Raymond

Salary, July 2006

 

742.94

07003

102252

Post Office

Payover tax & NI, Apr-June 2006

 

635.73

07006

102249

Sedlescombe Village Hall

Hall hire, June 2006

 

15.00

07007

102253

XMA Limited

Copier toner and drum unit

 

146.45

07008

102254

Sussex Police Authority

PCSO overtime contribution @ £20/hr

 

500.00

 

 

 

 

 

3165.52

07010

 

Transfer from West Bromwich BS

 

 

3000.00

C06/07.58 BALCOMBE GREEN, LONG LANE, SHORT HILL.  Members had been provided with the Clerk’s Report on the issue of the highway status of these roads.  The two main problems reported to the Council are the possibility of drainage problems and the state of the public footpath at the end of Balcombe Green.  The drainage issue is being addressed by East Sussex County Council and the footpath has had paving slabs inserted.

C06/07.59 SPILSTEAD AIRSTRIP.  The Clerk reported receipt of various complaints about helicopters and planes acting outside the planning approval.  These had been reported to Rother Enforcement who planned to visit the Airstrip this week to inspect the logbook.  The temporary planning permission is due for reconsideration in 2008.

C06/07.60 ANONYMOUS LETTER FROM EAST VIEW TERRACE.  An anonymous letter had been sent to the Council asking why the Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinators do not patrol the streets to stop the problems with youths, especially at the garages.  The Clerk was asked to send the letter and the names of the NHW co-ordinators in East View Terrace to PCSO Crotch.  It is difficult for the Police to deal with the nuisance problems at East View Terrace if the people who see the behaviour are unwilling to report to the Police.

C06/07.61 ADVERTISING FOR A SPECIAL CONSTABLE.  The recommendation of the Crime & Safety Committee to advertise locally for a special constable who would then be trained and managed by the Police had been adopted when the Minutes were received earlier in the agenda.

C06/07.62  EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES POLICY.  RESOLVED:  That the Council adopts the Draft Equal Opportunities Policy prepared by the Clerk and circulated to members prior to the meeting.

C06/07.63 HASTINGS & ROTHER MEDIATION SERVICE.  The Council considered a letter from this Service asking for a grant.  NO ACTION.

C06/07.64  WELCOME PACKS.  Members were reminded to let the Clerk have details of the addresses where new residents have moved in.

C06/07.65 AFFORDABLE RURAL HOUSING
65.1 The Council noted that the Affordable Rural Housing Commission Report has concluded that there needs to be the equivalent of around six new affordable houses for rent or sale in each rural ward  a year.                    

65.2  Rother District Council has prepared a draft Affordable Housing Supplementary Planning Document.  It contains the following definition of the words “affordable housing”:  “that which is provided for local people (or key workers) who are unable to meet their housing needs in the housing market without a level of subsidy because to do so would require more than 25-30% of their net household income”.  The tenures will be Social Rented (the predominant tenure sought), Shared Ownership or Sub-Market Rent.  Within development boundaries of villages of 0.2 hectares or more, or housing developments of 5 or more dwellings, 40% of the total number of dwellings to be provided shall be affordable housing for local people unless this will make the development of the whole site uneconomic. Rother expects developers to take account of the affordable housing requirements when negotiating the purchase of sites.  Availability of public funds from the Housing Corporation should not be presumed.  In exceptional circumstances, planning permission may be granted for residential development outside development boundaries in order to meet a local housing need. 

Members had been provided with draft Polices HG1 and HG2 of the emerging Rother District Local Plan.   RESOLVED:  That the Parish Council objects to the draft policies and states that it would like to see policies that encourage affordable housing in villages for professional young people to buy rather than social housing to rent when there is already sufficient in villages such as Sedlescombe.

C06/07.66 MEETINGS WITH OTHER BODIES.  Consideration of attendance at the following meetings:
66.1 Rural Rother Youth Forum Network Event, Tuesday 11 July, 12:00-15:00.  The subject will be Young People and Rural Transport.  A bbq will be provided.  NO ACTION

66.2 Bi-monthly Police/Parish Council meetings.   The first, called by our Police Sergeant, Damen Funnell, will be held on Thursday 13 July at 10:00 at The Lodge House, The Bruderhof Community, Darvell, Brightling Road, Robertsbridge.  Cllr Dellow to attend.

66.3 Rother Local Action Plan Network Meeting on Saturday 12 August, 09:30 to 13:00.  If someone is willing to attend, consideration to be given to the topics that should be included at future meetings.  NO ACTION

66.4 Rother & Romney Catchment Flood Management Plan meeting to be held on Wednesday 2nd August 10.30am until 1pm at Tenterden Town Council Offices, High Street, Tenterden.  Cllr Martin to attend.

C06/07.67 EAST SUSSEX STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP (ESSP) which will be the Local Strategic Partnership (LSP) for the County of East Sussex, its constitution and terms of reference.  The  ESSP is a non-statutory, non-executive, multi-sector partnership structure with ESCC acting as the Accountable body for financial matters.   It will comprise an Assembly and an Executive Board.  Its four key tasks are all concerned with building a strategic framework aimed at improving quality of life for those living and working in East Sussex.  The Clerk was authorised to write objecting to this body and asking for details of what it has achieved.

C06/07.68  NETWORKING WITH NEIGHBOURING PARISH COUNCILS.  The Chairman suggested inviting a few neighbouring parish councils to form a local networking group for occasional informal meetings at a different parish in turn.  Subjects and form of meeting to be decided by that parish.  She suggested that Sedlescombe Parish Council could perform a skit based on a fictitious parish council meeting.  The idea was supported by the Council.  However, it was thought that it might be better to wait until after the next elections in 2007 before launching the idea.

Chairman………………………………………..                                Date…………………………………