Logo
CRIME & SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE MINUTES
Line
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE CRIME & SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE OF SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL ON TUESDAY 4 MARCH 2008, 10:00 TO 11:20

PRESENT
Cllr R Dellow (Chairman), Councillors Glew, Wheatley
Councillor Wright (Chairman of the Council)
Mrs S Martin, Mrs J Dellow (part), Mr R Glew - co-opted members
Sussex Police representatives - Inspector Heather Keating, Sgt Sarah Porter, PC Jayne Cleverley, PCSO Demetrius Georghiou
Mrs P Raymond - Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer, Sedlescombe Parish Council

The Clerk reminded the Committee of its change of status in that it has become an advisory committee of the Parish Council making recommendations for Council approval.

Line
CS07/08.34 Apologies and reasons for absence were received from Cllr Irwin (ill) and Craig Atkins of Orbit Housing Association.
CS07/08.35 Members were invited to declare the existence and nature of any interests, whether personal or personal/prejudicial, with regard to items on the agenda. None declared.
CS07/08.36 Public participation session. None present.
CS07/08.37
Minutes. It was resolved: That the Chairman of the Committee is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Crime & Safety Advisory Committee held on 06/11/07.
CS07/08.38 Introduction of Sedlescombe's new PCSO. Demetrius (Demi) Georghiou was introduced to the Committee. Demi is expected to finish his training in a month or six weeks and it was agreed that Committee members will communicate with him direct to make contact arrangements and agree future plans.
CS07/08.39 Other Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour (See CS07/08.30 and 31)
39.1 Farm buildings and sheds. The Committee discussed ways that the public could be reminded that garden sheds and farm buildings are vulnerable:
  1. Sally Martin to speak to local farmer, John Marland and, maybe invite him to attend a future meeting.
  2. Encouragement of NHW coordinators to disseminate information around their patches.
  3. Reminder in a future Parish Council Bulletin which is delivered throughout the parish.

Inspector Keating reminded the Committee of the importance of putting out positive messages in order not to increase the fear of crime. For example "have you looked at the security of your shed or house recently?". It was agreed that Demi could work with the NHW group to arrange meetings of the coordinators.

39.2 Operation Inroad. There are thirty Lifeline-like gadgets for Rother available to use for vulnerable people who, may, have been, or are likely to be victims of Distraction Burglary or aggressive unsolicited callers. Inspector Keating needs to have names of possible users soon.
39.3 Operation Crackdown. Sussex residents are being invited by the Sussex Police to report abandoned vehicles or acts of anti-social driving. Some NHW coordinators have distributed details of Operation Crackdown to local houses.
CS07/08.40 Communication with Police (see CS07/08.28.2) and other agencies.
40.1 Communication between Police/PCSO and NHW members. It is expected that this will improve in the future.
40.2 Reported incidents and follow through. The Committee discussed how local residents could be encouraged to contact the Police rather than the Parish Council or NHW. According to the Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour Forum, any reported incident will be followed through and an update provided.
40.3 Keeping other agencies informed of incidents in which they might have an interest (see CS07/08.28.3). Since the last meeting, the NHW and Parish Council have passed details of incidents to Craig Atkins at Orbit. It was agreed that this would continue for the time being although the value is not known.
CS07/08.41 Neighbourhood Policing Initiative (see CS07/08.28.1)
41.1 Proposed Neighbourhood Panels. Inspector Keating described the content of the Sedlescombe Profile which had recently been produced. The profile contains demographic information and details of the type of people living in the Village. The aim now is to form a panel of people representative of the whole community who can identify about three policing priorities.
41.2 Link between Neighbourhood Panels and the Parish Council Crime and Safety Committee. The Committee discussed how the panel would be made up and whether the Crime and Safety Committee could be used for this purpose. However, this is not possible as it is a committee set up to advise the Parish Council on crime and safety issues. Some members had thought that the panels would be Police-led but it appears that the community will be expected to run the panels although the Police may help at the beginning. The importance is that joint Police/public priorities are identified. The Parish Council should be represented on the panel.

RECOMMENDED TO THE PARISH COUNCIL: THAT MEMBERS OF THE CRIME AND SAFETY COMMITTEE ARE AUTHORISED TO MEET WITH PCSO DEMI TO DISCUSS SETTING UP A PANEL OF COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVES IN ORDER TO IDENTIFY THREE POLICING PRIORITIES FOR THE PARISH OF SEDLESCOMBE.

PC Cleverley said that the street clinics appeared quite successful with up to fifty people attending the one on The Green. Another will be held soon in The Street. The Committee was interested to know what concerns are being raised at the clinics and PC Cleverley agreed to provide the information.

41.3 Proposed regular coffee mornings to allow local residents to meet the PCSO. Mrs A Post, a local resident and member of Sedlescombe WI had phoned the Clerk with her idea of holding regular coffee mornings in the Queen's Head in order to meet the PCSO. PC Cleverley had spoken to Mrs Post and the idea was being progressed.
CS07/08.42 Speed guns. PCSOs are being trained to use speed guns and to operate in areas where there are speeding problems within 30 or 40mph speed limits. The PCSOs cannot give tickets but a warning letter(s) can be sent and on the third occasion a vehicle is recorded speeding, details are handed to Operation Crackdown for further investigation. Rother has one speed gun (cost of £2,000 each) which will be used around the area. Winchelsea Speed Watch has bought its own speed gun and received training from Sussex Police.
CS07/08.43 Dog Control Orders. With the introduction of Rother DC Dog Control Orders, the Clerk had written to the Chief Constable asking whether PCSOs could be empowered to enforce the Orders. A reply had been received from PC Cleverley informing her new PCSOs were being trained in enforcement and that arrangements had to be made with local authorities. The Clerk had spoken to the Chief Executive at Rother DC.

Cllr Wright said that letters to the Chief Constable should at least be acknowledged by him.

   
  Chairman.................................... Date............................................