SPC logo

COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

MINUTES OF THE EMERGENCY MEETING OF SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL ON TUESDAY 9 JUNE 2009, 18:05 TO 19:10

 

PARISH COUNCILLORS PRESENT: Cllr Wright (Chairman), Cllr A Rand (Vice Chairman of the Council), Cllrs Dellow, Glew, Irwin, Marland, Martin, Mitchell, Wheatley

 

CLERK/RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER, SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL: Mrs P Raymond

 

ALSO PRESENT FOR PARTS OF THE MEETING: 3 members of the public (Debbie Martin, Marketing Officer, Pestalozzi International Village, Dan Wiltshire, Managing Director of Urban Foxes and John Noonan, Secretary of Sedlescombe Sports Association).

C09/10.40 Apologies and reasons for absence. None, all present.
C09/10.41 Interests. Declarations of existence and nature of councillor's interests, whether personal/prejudicial, in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct 2007, with regard to items on the agenda. Members were reminded to repeat the declarations when the items were announced by the Chairman. The following interests were declared:

Minute
Name
Interest
C09/10.45 Cllr Martin Personal/prejudicial interest by virtue of his daughter being the Marketing Officer of the Pestalozzi International Village

 

Cllr Martin was invited to make representation, answer questions or give evidence regarding C09/10.45 but he declined to do so.

C09/10.42

Public Participation Session.

Debbie Martin, Marketing Officer, Pestalozzi International Village and Dan Wiltshire, Managing Director of Urban Foxes asked to speak re C09/10.45. Cllr Martin declared his personal/prejudicial interest as above and left the room. Debbie informed the Council that Pestalozzi has decided to run a "One Love Festival" between 21 and 23 August 2009 on the estate in Sedlescombe as a fund-raising event. A Premises Licence is being applied for currently by the Festival Organisers Foxes Den Ltd. as about 2,400 people are expected to attend. The application is to allow Live music, recorded music, performances of dance and provision of facilities for dancing - Fridays 16:00-02:00, Saturdays 11:00-02:00 and Sundays 11:00-20:00. All indoors or outdoors. Provision of late night refreshment Friday & Saturday 23:00-02:00. Representations have already been made by neighbours and there will, therefore, be a hearing. The Global Fusion event, last held on the Pestalozzi Estate in 2005, was run by Pestalozzi, was charitable and made no money, whereas the One Love Festival will be run by a commercial company and should make money.

In order to ensure the smooth running of the event, stewards and professionally-trained security staff will be employed by the company as well as cleaning operatives. Pestalozzi will retain a deposit from Urban Foxes to ensure that all areas are left clean and swept. The Festival will take place on the lower part of the estate running alongside the river. The stage(s) will point away from the village. Silent discos will take place between midnight and 02:00. Tickets for local people are expected to be discounted. There will be a point of contact number for for the local community to call at anytime with problems and an event manual. A review meeting with the Parish Council is suggested for September. If the event is repeated next year, Debbie would like to see local businesses advertising on the One Love website and local people employed as stewards.

Questions were asked concerning ensuring that drugs are not sold and children left on their own as had happened during the Global Fusion event. Also about the ongoing nature of the proposed Premises Licence. Dan Wiltshire spoke of ideas for use of the Estate for wedding receptions, classical music or jazz events etc. Debbie said that they have an alumini event two weekends after the One Love Festival where over 500 people are expected and a temporary events licence would not be sufficient.

 

The meeting was closed to the public and it was then agreed that C09/10.45 Pestalozzi Village, Ladybird Lane, Sedlescombe, would be taken next. Cllr Martin remained outside the meeting. The information provided by Rother DC was that parish councils do not have the power to make representation against the grant of a premises licence but could act on behalf of named persons. A proposal That the Parish Council should support objectors received no support. Anyone contacting the Council will be told to make objections themselves.    
C09/10.43
Minutes. RESOLVED: That the Chairman of the Council is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 12/05/09.
C09/10.44

Sedlescombe Sportsfield. Members were provided with a draft Deed of Variation for the Parish Council/ Sports Association Lease 01/08/2005, a November 2008 to June 2009 history of the portacabin situation and a Draft Lease between the Trustees of Sedlescombe Sports Association and the Trustees of Sedlescombe Youth Group.

 

Public Participation. John Noonan, Secretary of Sedlescombe Sports Association spoke about the portacabin proposals and answered questions. He also answered questions about the proposed CCTV for the pavilion and agreed to obtain two further quotations for installation of a suitable CCTV system. The CCTV needs to be available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week and recordable for more than 7 days. Cllr Dellow will try to arrange some Police advice on installations. Funding might be available from the Police or Grassroots Grant System (closing date for this round is 22/06/09).

 

The meeting was closed to the public and it was then agreed:

  1. Deed of Variation. RESOLVED: That the Solicitor be asked to draw up the approved Deed of Variation to the 2005 Lease for signature of the Sports Association Trustees and the Parish Council.
  2. Portacabin. The Council considered the implication of not selling the portacabin but, rather, leasing it and accepted that, although the money from the sale had been included in the pavilion budget, there is still money available in the fund without this additional sum (even taking into account the payment that has to be made to Steed Construction Ltd. in September) RESOLVED: That the following alternative action is approved:-
    1. Either: That the Council will sell the 40'x10' portacabin to the Youth Group for £3,500 as agreed but that the portacabin must be removed at the Youth Group's expense from the sportsfield by 1 July 2009 or some other date as agreed.
    2. Or: That the Council will agree to allow the Sports Association to sub-let the two portacabins at the sportsfield to the Youth Group for £300 every six months for an initial term of six months from the start of alterations, renewable for further six-monthly terms for a total of five years when the use shall cease unless planning approval has been renewed. Other requirements, including reasons for terminating the lease, to be written into the lease in accordance with the terms of the draft lease approved by the Sports Association on 08/06/09.
    The Clerk will forward the document to the Solicitor for drafting.
  3. CCTV for pavilion. The Clerk reported that the Sports Association would like to have CCTV installed at the pavilion but do not, currently, have the funds. The Clerk/Financial Officer reported that about £1,700 is still being held in the Parish Council Pavilion Fund. Cllr Dellow agreed to make enquiries to see whether there is any funding available in Police funds for this purpose. RESOLVED: That the Parish Council supports installation of CCTV at the pavilion and agrees to contribute towards the cost both from the Pavilion Fund and, if necessary, from Council balances.
  4. Delegation for further discussions. In order to save additional meetings having to be called, it was RESOLVED: That a committee of Cllrs Wright, Rand and Glew is formed to approve any remaining items regarding the pavilion or portacabin.
   
  Chairman.......................................... Date.................................................................