SPC logo

COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA

TO ALL MEMBERS OF SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL

YOU ARE HEREBY SUMMONED TO ATTEND THE MEETING OF THE SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL TO BE HELD IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL (SIDE ENTRANCE) ON
TUESDAY 14 JULY 2009 STARTING AT 19:00

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MEETING IS OPEN TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WHO MAY, AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION, SPEAK DURING THE PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION ABOUT MATTERS ON THIS AGENDA
MEMBERS
Councillor Wright [VW] (Chairman of the Council), Councillor Rand [AR] (Vice-Chairman of the Council)
Councillors Dellow [RD], Glew [PG], Irwin [MI], Marland [JMar], Martin [PM], Mitchell [JM], Wheatley [CW]

Open Forum
County Councillor Jones invited to speak
District Councillor Ganly invited to speak

Line
C09/10.51 Apologies and reasons for absence.
C09/10.52

Interests

  1. To note that Cllr Marland has been granted a dispensation regarding the Sedlescombe Playing Field & Recreation Ground Trust. Although he must declare a personal/prejudicial interest when matters relating to the Trust are being considered, he is entitled to remain in the room, to speak and to vote on the matter. To remind all Sedlescombe Parish Councillors of the requirement for them to make similar declarations. All declarations will be recorded in the Minutes.
  2. To receive declarations of existence and nature of councillor's interests, whether personal or personal/prejudicial, in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct 2007, with regard to items on the agenda. Members are reminded to repeat the declarations when the items are announced by the Chairman.
  3. Prejudiced members may make representation, answer questions or give evidence to the Council on agenda items after which they must leave the room if members of the public want to speak on the same subject.
C09/10.53 Public participation session. At the Chairman's discretion, members of the public will be allowed to make representation, answer questions or give evidence with regard to items on the agenda. Please note that names will be recorded and representations etc. minuted.
C09/10.54
Minutes. To resolve: That the Chairman of the Council is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 23 June 2009.
C09/10.55 Minutes of Meetings of Committees
  1. Planning Committee. To Resolve: That the Minutes of the Meetings of the Planning Committee held on 12 May, 9 June & 23 June are received.
  2. Finance Committee. To Resolve: That the Minutes of the Meeting of the Finance Committee held on 30/06/09 are received.
C09/10.56 Reports from representatives. To receive reports as follows:
  1. Rother Association of Local Councils.
  2. Village Hall Trust
  3. Sports Association
  4. Environment Officer
  5. Tree Officer
  6. NHW representative
C09/10.57 To receive the Clerk's Report.
C09/10.58 Finance
  1. Bank Reconciliations. To approve bank reconciliations at the end of May and June 2009.
  2. Cheques. To ratify June cheque list and approve July cheque list
  3. To consider making a donation to the Kent & Sussex Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group for funding initial wildlife and environmental advisory visits to farms.
  4. To consider a request for funding from crimestoppers. A report was given to the Sussex Association of Local Councils on 23/06/09. Full details can be viewed here.
C09/10.59

Training

  1. Councillors' course, 11/12 September, Cllr Marland to attend.
  2. Completion of Training Survey Form. Please be ready to complete this form at the meeting.
  3. SALC/AirS workshop session, Wednesday 16 September 2009 1000-1500, Brede Village Hall. Should appeal to a wide range of community organisation and representatives including parish councillors and clerks, village hall management committees, village action plan teams and those involved with young people. The cost will be £11.50 each including VAT. Topics expected to be covered include:
    • The Power of Well-Being
    • Project updates and briefings
    • Village Care in Focus
    • Affordable Housing
    • Highways & Transportation issues
    • Making a success of your Village Hall
C09/10.60

Magazines/newsletters. To note receipt of the following magazines/newsletters:

  • Clerks & Councils Direct
  • Focus on East Sussex including area parish profile.
  • The Clerk
  • Wybone Catalogue
  • Solon Security Catalogue
  • Bourne Amenity Newsletter
  • Safe in East Sussex - Communities Partners Newsletter
C09/10.61

Aim 1 To achieve an Informed and Participating Sedlescombe Community

  1. Welcome Packs.
  2. Village of the Year 2009.
C09/10.62

Aim 2 To achieve a Safe and Healthy Sedlescombe Community

  1. Dog Control Orders. In 2008, Rother District Council introduced dog control orders regarding fouling and exclusion from land. At the time, Rother's Solicitor suggested that further dog control orders re dogs on leads and the number of dogs taken onto land at a time would be considered by Rother in due course. Sedlescombe still has a Dogs on Leads byelaw at the sportsfield which is confusing for dog walkers. Rother has informed the Council that it has no plans to introduce additional dog control orders in the foreseeable future. To consider whether Sedlescombe Parish Council wishes to introduce its own Dogs on Leads Control Order. See our 2008 Dog Leaflet for further information on existing dog control orders etc.
  2. Premises Licence, Pestalozzi International Village.
    1. To consider the implications of the result of the Licensing Panel Meeting of 08/07/09.
    2. To note that a petition signed by local residents has been sent to the Chief Executive of Rother. Further details in the Clerk's Briefing Note. District Council complaining about insufficient advertising of the licence application.
    3. Proposed One Love & Tribal Earth Festivals at the Pestalozzi International Village.
  3. Selling cars on the highway opposite Budget Cars. Environmental Health, Rother DC, has visited the site and reminder the operator that this is not allowed.
  4. Parking problems. To note that PCSO Demi has agreed to keep a closer eye on parking issues at Balcombe Green, the Pumphouse and between Kester House and Riverbridge Cottages.
  5. Junction A21/B2244.
  6. Crime and Anti-social Behaviour meeting for parish councils. Chief Inspector Keating is keen to re-introduce these meetings in Rother. The next meeting is planned for Thursday 23/07/09, 1900-2100, at Brede Village Hall. It will be attended by Chief Inspector Keating, Inspector James Scott, the Rother Neighbourhood Policing Team Inspector, Sergeant John Berry from Rye and Sargeant Sarah Porter from Battle, along with the Community Safety Co-ordinator from the Safer Rother Partnership and the Rother Anti Social Behaviour Officer.
C09/10.63

Aim 3 To help provide Amenities and Services in Sedlescombe

  1. Official opening of pavilion.
  2. CCTV for pavilion.
  3. Status of the sportsfield. See Clerk's Briefing Note dated 30/06/09.
  4. Sedlescombe Youth Project.
  5. Sedlescombe sportsfield ditch. Cllr Rand to report.
  6. Bus Service 349 timekeeping.
  7. Jempsons Shopper Bus. To consider the request of Jempsons Ltd. that their bus service to Peasmarsh is advertised in the Village.
  8. Public Footpaths
    1. Footpath 31, Pestalozzi International Village, replacement of stile with gate.
    2. Footpath 25c, broken stile at A21 end.
    3. Footpath 37, broken stile at A21 end and resolution of problems on joining footpath Battle 52.
    4. Footpath 4b, replacement of stile with gate.
    5. Footpath 33, Neatenden Farm, New England Lane - complaint regarding broken stile and overgrown path.
  9. Long Lane, use by delivery vehicles. To note that the County Council Rights of Way Officer, who is investigating whether a sign to restrict use of Long Lane should be installed, has been informed that the complainant should report in more detail in six months' time together with the views of others living in the Lane.
  10. "Bringing Empty Homes back into use". Pilot assistance project. In 2008 the Council agreed to fund a research project which considered the reasons why homes in the District are left empty. Using this information, Rother will provide options for a final strategy document which will focus action on working with owners, landlords and local communities in an attempt to return empty homes back to use.As part of Rother's on-going research into identifying the worst offending properties, they would like to hear from all parish councils with details of any empty properties in their areas which they would like to see brought back into use.  In particular they would be interested to find out which empty properties are creating an eyesore in the parish or have reduced property values or increased vandalism in the area.
  11. May Fayre 2010. To give further consideration to the proposal made by the Finance Committee regarding the 2009 May Fayre and the need for an Events Committee (see F09/10.9)
  12. To consider the services that the Parish Council provides and how to promote them and to consider whether the Council should try to extend the services it provides either by itself or in collaboration with others eg parish clustering.
  13. To consider carrying out a 2009 Village Survey.
C09/10.64

Aim 5 To protect and enhance Sedlescombe's built and natural environment

  1. American Signal Crayfish Policy. Reply awaited from Environment Agency.
  2. Request for certain grass verges to be designated for wildflowers - referred to County Ecologist, Dr Kate Cole.
  3. Recycling information. Cllr Dellow to report.
  4. Comments regarding Red Barn Field maintenance arrangements.
  5. The High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Management Plan 2004, 2nd edition, adopted March 2009.
 

 

Mrs P J Raymond, Clerk/Financial Officer, Sedlescombe Parish Council

Woodland Cottage, Chapel Hill, Sedlescombe, Battle TN33 0QX

01424 870508

sedlescombe@freezone.co.uk

8 July 2009