SPC logo

COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA

TO ALL MEMBERS OF SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL

YOU ARE HEREBY SUMMONED TO ATTEND THE MEETING OF THE SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL TO BE HELD IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL (SIDE ENTRANCE) ON
TUESDAY 12 JANUARY 2010 STARTING AT 19:00

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS MEETING IS OPEN TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC WHO MAY, AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION, SPEAK ABOUT MATTERS ON THIS AGENDA
MEMBERS
Councillor Wright (Chairman of the Council), Councillor Rand (Vice-Chairman of the Council)
Councillors Dellow, Glew, Irwin, Marland, Martin, Mitchell, Wheatley

Open Forum
County Councillor Jones invited to speak
District Councillor Ganly invited to speak

Line
C09/10.93 Apologies and reasons for absence.
C09/10.94

Interests. To receive disclosures of personal and prejudicial interests from Councillors on matters to be considered at the meeting in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct 2007. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest.

 

If a member becomes aware, during the course of a meeting, of an interest that has not been disclosed under this item he/she must immediately disclose it. They may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is prejudicial.

 

A personal interest is prejudicial if a member of the public with knowledge of the relevant facts would reasonably regard it as so significant that it is likely to prejudice a member's judgement of the public interest and it relates to a financial or regulatory matter.

 

Members are reminded to repeat the declarations when the items are announced by the Chairman.

C09/10.95 Prejudiced members' participation. Chairman to ask prejudiced members whether they wish to make representation, answer questions or give evidence to the Council with regard to items on the agenda. At the Chairman's discretion, members will be allowed to make their representations etc. at the beginning of the appropriate agenda item and to leave the meeting during the representations made by the public and the deliberations of the Committee.
C09/10.96 Public participation session. Chairman to ask any members of the public whether they wish to make representation, answer questions or give evidence with regard to items on the agenda. At the Chairman's discretion, the public will be allowed to make their representations etc. at the beginning of the appropriate agenda item, after prejudiced members' participation. The Chairman should inform the public that their names will be recorded and representations etc. minuted.
C09/10.97
Minutes. To resolve: That the Chairman of the Council is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 10/11/09.
C09/10.98 Minutes of Meetings of Committees
  1. Planning Committee. To Resolve: That the Minutes of the Meetings of the Planning Committee held on 24/11/09 and 05/01/10 are received.
  2. Finance Committee. To Resolve: That the Minutes of the Meeting of the Finance Committee held on are 15/12/09 received and, where necessary, recommendations approved. NB This approval to exclude the following recommendations: F09/10.38.2.5 and F09/10.45 which have been included separately on the agenda.
C09/10.99 Reports from representatives. To receive reports as follows:
  1. Rother Association of Local Councils.
  2. Village Hall Trust
  3. Sports Association
    1. Representative's report.
    2. Adoption of the Finance Committee's recommendation at F09/10.38.2.5 as follows: That the Sports Association's request for permission to plant hedges on the riverbank and beside the ditch is refused because low hedges will not solve the problem with balls any better than current riverbank barriers but will impose further maintenance work on the Association, could obstruct the access for dealing with giant hogweed outbreaks beside the river and create problems for maintaining the ditch as there is no other legal access to the ditch than from the sportsfield side. (Request of Cllr Dellow who supports the proposed planting scheme.)

      NB Since the Finance Meeting, a further e-mail has been received from the Environment Agency, this time from its Biodiversity Officer who suggests:
      1. Planting a hedge along the bank of the river wouldn't be appropriate for the river. There may be more natural planting schemes that would appear more in keeping with the rural area and the High Weald AONB.
      2. If a small hedgerow were to approved, it would have to be 8 metres from the top of the riverbank in accordance with current byelaws.
      3. Planting along the river should only include native tree species that are suitable for the rivers, such as willows and alder, although creating small wooded areas of scrub and trees is also appropriate.


      The Environment Agency Biodiversity Officer states that they have been working on flood risk modelling for the River Brede to help plan future enhancement work that would benefit the ecology of the river but not increase flood risk to urban infrastructure. Although at an early stage, they would like to discuss this subject with the Parish Council.

    3. To note that the Deed of Variation for Sportsfield Lease has been signed and to agree that payment for the legal fees should be taken from the Sportsfield Fund.
  4. Environment Officer
  5. Tree Officer
  6. NHW representative
C09/10.100

To receive the Clerk's Report.

  1. Parish Online - online mapping. To approve purchase of the mapping tool - £20 sign-up fee and £10/year for every 1000 population.
C09/10.101 Finance
  1. Bank Reconciliations. To approve bank reconciliations at the end of November and December 2009
  2. Cheques. To ratify the cheque list for December 2009 and approve the cheque list for January 2010
  3. 2010-11 Precept. To adopt the Finance Committee's recommendation at F09/10.45 as follows: That the 2010-11 Precept for Sedlescombe should be £31,500, ie no increase over 2009-10.
C09/10.102

Training

  1. Web-based Parish Plans - Tuesday 09/03/10, Sedlescombe Village Hall, 1030-1230.
  2. Code of Conduct - April 2010 onwards. To agree when members of Rother's Standards Committee should be invited to attend a meeting of this Council (they are visiting all Rother parishes in alphabetical order) to give a short presentation and answer any questions in relation to the Code of Conduct lasting up to 30 minutes.
C09/10.103

Magazines/newsletters. To note receipt of the following magazines/newsletters:

  1. LCR (Local Council Review) Winter 2009.
  2. Tree Warden newsletter.
C09/10.104

Consultations. To consider the following consultations

  1. Rother District Council Draft Economic Regeneration Strategy.
  2. The Government is asking whether the edited version of the Register of Electors (currently on sale to anyone) be abolished?
C09/10.105

Aim 1 To achieve an Informed and Participating Sedlescombe Community

  1. "Become a Fair Trade District". Has the Parish Council considered making Sedlescombe a "Fairtrade Village"? Request forwarded by Derek Stevens of Rother District Council.
  2. To note a parish council's part in Rother's Street Naming Policy. To consider the naming of new properties in Sedlescombe.
  3. Pestalozzi
    1. To receive a report of the Public Meeting on 13/11/09
    2. To receive a report regarding questions sent to Rother Planning Officer.
    3. To consider the Premises Licence Application, 28-31/05/10 - representations to Rother by 13/01/10.
  4. To consider Parish Assembly arrangements.
  5. To receive a report regarding Interactive Information Boards.
  6. To note donations towards refurbishment of Sedlescombe Pump.
  7. To receive a report on the proposed May Fayre run by Parish Council in aid of refurbishment of Sedlescombe Pump. (Headteacher has agreed to arrange for children to dance around the maypole at the May Fayre.)
C09/10.106

Aim 2 To achieve a Safe and Healthy Sedlescombe Community

  1. To receive PCSO Reports.
  2. To receive reports re the junction A21/B2244.
    1. Meeting with Highways Agency 27/11/09.
    2. Police Accident statistics for the junction.
    3. Recent correspondence with Highways Agency.
  3. To note that ESCC will be remarking the junctions within Stream Lane.
  4. To receive a report re water running down The Green (highway) and from Brickwall.
  5. To consider a request for more grit bins in the parish and the suggestion that residents should be encouraged by the Parish Council to purchase a bag of salt as a precaution. The supply of new bins and grit fill-ups is now the financial responsibility of parish councils. Glasdon UK has grit bins in their catalogue for £132. Gritspreaders are alternatives. Supplies of de-icing rock salt can be bought (when available) from Bourne Amenity Ltd. of Newenden, Kent.
  6. To receive a report regarding future Rother arrangements for emptying dog bins in the parish.
  7. Playground reports including damage to land at rear of car sales area.
C09/10.107

Aim 3 To help provide Amenities and Services in Sedlescombe

  1. To receive a report on the proposed Sedlescombe Services Sign on A21. Meeting with Highways Agency and Greg Barker MP 27/11/09.
  2. To approve future action regarding the proposed lease of East View Kickabout Area to the Youth Group.
  3. To receive reports regarding Footpaths and Bridleways
  4. ESCC Bus Strategy. To note answers to questions raised by District Cllr Ganly.
C09/10.108

Aim 4 To support business and rural employment in Sedlescombe

  1. To receive a report following a meeting with Rother regarding the Marley Lane junction with A21 alterations.
C09/10.109

Aim 5 To protect and enhance Sedlescombe's built and natural environment

  1. Waste & Minerals Core Strategy. Landraising issues. The consultation period has been extended to 15/01/10. Sedlescombe Parish Council's initial comments have been forwarded (see C09/10.87.3). A recent e-mail from a group of villages in the Low Weald around Chiddingly, Laughton, East Hoathly and Ripe (previously known as VALaR) brought up the issue of landraise waste disposal facilities in connection with the draft strategy. In 1998, these and other parishes set up an action group against landraise waste disposal sites proposed in the the Draft Local Waste Plan in their area. The following year, in 1999, East Sussex County Council made a last-minute amendment of the Plan to include a new landraise site at Marley Farm, Marley Lane, Battle which was opposed, and subsequently removed from the plan. VALaR are asking all parishes in East Sussex to comment that "to have landraise waste disposal facilities at the identified sites or any greenfield sites in East Sussex would be totally inappropriate". Sedlescombe Parish Council's 1999 letter to ESCC can be seen here.
  2. Low carbon communities.
    1. To consider the Clerk's Low Carbon Community Report.
    2. To consider the Launch of the Low Carbon Initiative at Annual Parish Assembly on 27/04/10.
    3. To consider Cllr Dellow's suggestion that an additional public low carbon meeting is arranged in the Brickwall in the week preceding or immediately following the Assembly.
    4. Woodland Trust "More Trees" project. To note comment of Dr Patrick Roper that, environmentally, natural regeneration of trees is preferable to large plantings of imported trees.
  3. Red Barn Field - to note unauthorised access and arrangements to lock the gate.
  4. To note Cllr Dellow's offer of a Spring Bluebell Walk for older people starting from Churchland Lane to be followed by tea at Little Tysoe as part of Celebrate Spring in Sedlescombe week.
 

 

Mrs P J Raymond

Clerk/Financial Officer

Sedlescombe Parish Council

01424 870508

Woodland Cottage, Chapel Hill, Sedlescombe, Battle TN33 0QX
sedlescombe@freezone.co.uk

2010 COUNCIL MEETING DATES: 9 March, 11 May, 6 July, 14 September, 16 November
2010 FINANCE COMMITTEE MEETING DATES: 30 March, 29 June, 19 October, 14 December
PLANNING AND HERITAGE COMMITTEE MEETINGS AS REQUIRED
CRIME & SAFETY ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETINGS AS REQUIRED