SPC logo

FINANCE AGENDA

YOU ARE HEREBY SUMMONED TO ATTEND THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE COMMITTEE OF SEDLESCOMBE PARISH COUNCIL TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY 19 OCTOBER 2010 AT 19:00 IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL

MEMBERS: Cllr Glew Irwin, Martin, Vine-Hall
Councillor Wright (Chairman of the Council), Councillor Rand (Vice-Chairman of the Council)

Line
  Chairman to welcome Cllr Vine-Hall to his first meeting of the Finance Committee.
F10/11.14 Apologies and reasons for absence.
F10/11.15

Interests. To receive disclosures of personal and prejudicial interests from Councillors on matters to be considered at the meeting in accordance with the adopted Code of Conduct 2007. The disclosure must include the nature of the interest. If you become aware, during the course of a meeting, of an interest that has not been disclosed under this item you must immediately disclose it. You may remain in the meeting and take part fully in discussion and voting unless the interest is prejudicial.

 

A personal interest is prejudicial if a member of the public with knowledge of the relevant facts would reasonably regard it as so significant that it is likely to prejudice your judgement of the public interest and it relates to a financial or regulatory matter.

 

Members are reminded to repeat the declarations when the items are announced by the Chairman.

F10/11.16 Prejudiced members' participation. Chairman to ask prejudiced members (if any) whether they wish to make representation, answer questions or give evidence to the Committee with regard to items on the agenda. At the Chairman's discretion, members will be allowed to make their representations etc. at the beginning of the appropriate agenda item and to leave the meeting during the representations made by the public and the deliberations of the Committee.
F10/11.17 Public participation session. Chairman to ask any members of the public (if any) whether they wish to make representation, answer questions or give evidence with regard to items on the agenda. At the Chairman's discretion, the public will be allowed to make their representations etc. at the beginning of the appropriate agenda item, after prejudiced members' participation. The Chairman should inform the public that their names will be recorded and representations etc. minuted.
F10/11.18 Minutes. To Resolve: That the Chairman of the Committee is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Finance Committee held on 29/06/10.
F10/11.19 General handyman volunteer. To consider the practicalities of appointing a general handyman volunteer to attend to many minor jobs (added to the agenda at the request of Cllr Vine-Hall).
F10/11.20 Parish Maintenance Team. To receive a report.
F10/11.21 NB Agenda items F10/11.22 to 35 should be considered in conjunction with the 2010 Inspection Reports 1 & 2 and Summary (these statements were approved by the Parish Council on 14/09/10 - it is now this Committee's job to work out how the work should be done). Also see financial statements herewith (to councillors).
F10/11.22

Administration (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, pages 1-3)

  1. Sedlescombe Directory 2011 (Annual Report). To approve format and quotation for 2011 Directory received from Fastprint for £541.
  2. Hall hire. To consider whether the Parish Council should pay for the hire of the hall or school for a public meeting to allow Pestalozzi to update the Village.
  3. Subscriptions. To note increases in subs.
  4. Training. To note increased 2011/12 budget for training because of the possibility of new councillors and training needed for the Power of Well-being.
F10/11.23

Clerk's Salary and Clerk's Gratuity (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 4).

  1. To note that there has been no increase this year nor is any expected for next year in the Clerk's Salary.
  2. To increase the amount in the Clerk's Gratuity Fund for 2010/11 to £31,000 in accordance with the budget.
F10/11/24

Red Barn Field (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 5)

  1. Land drainage (Cllr Rand to report)
  2. Wells (Cllr Rand to report)
  3. Water draining from Red Barn Field (Cllr Rand to report)
  4. Pond including sign. Pond has been maintained by Colin Boyd. Sign has been painted by R Wood.
  5. Grass and strimming path edges. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £150 (10 times/season)
  6. Bracken clearance undertaken by Hastings Conservation Volunteers who appear willing to do the same in 2011. A token amount of £25 was paid.
  7. Planting (volunteer). Reg Glew has planted a buddleia in Red Barn Field.
  8. Botanical survey. The Hastings Botany Group undertook a free survey in August 2010 and plan to do another in the spring.
  9. Moth survey. Chris Bentley, Warden of Rye Harbour Nature Reserve, agreed to set up a moth trap over one night in August. The public was invited to attend the opening of the trap the following morning. 47 species were identified by Chris. £25 was paid to him for his travelling to and from Sedlescombe from Rye x 2.
  10. Other surveys. Colin Boyd has carried out other surveys and produced some good photographs of insects over the summer and has posted the results on the noticeboard in the Field. They have also been shown on the website.
  11. Lectern and GRP information sign (volunteer). Quotation received from R Wood for removal of the lectern for £30. Should the posts be dug up or cut off?
  12. 2011/12 budget for Red Barn Field
F10/11.25

East View Terrace Kickabout Area (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 6)

  1. Litter. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £325 (26 times p.a.)
  2. Mowing. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £320 (16 cuts/season)
  3. Hedge. 2010/11 and 2011/12 quotations received from R Wood for £100 each year.
  4. Sweep debris from tarmac surface (volunteer). Quotation from R Wood for £10 for 2010/11.
  5. 2011/12 budget for East View Terrace Kickabout Area
F10/11.26

Village Green (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 7)

  1. Pumphouse Project assisted by funding from Warr Partnership
    1. To receive a report on the refurbishment of the Pumphouse by BEM Builders & Decorators Ltd. and to note that their cheque has been paid.
    2. To receive a report on the refurbishment of the lead pump and to approve payment of the cheque to RPJ Leadwork Ltd.
    3. To receive a report on the installation of the railings and subsequent work.
    4. To consider additional work that has become obvious since the re-installation as follows:
      1. Reconcreting base of pump.
      2. Cleaning drain.
      3. Washing cobbles.
      4. Painting grille over pump.
    5. To receive a report on the grant aid.
    6. To note the Financial Statement regarding the funding of this project.
  2. Pump Project assisted by funding from Battle Partnership
    1. To approve printing of the booklet "Sedlescombe's pump and pumphouse - a brief history".
    2. To note the purchase of a small hand pump to be used as part of the educational project and to consider how to proceed and what extra items should be purchased.
    3. To receive a report on the grant aid.
    4. To note the Financial Statement regarding the funding of this project.
  3. Litter/sweeping. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £130 (26 times p.a.)
  4. Mowing. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £600 (up to 20 times p.a.)
  5. Village sign and post. New sign being made by Signs of the Times. Quotation received from R Wood for painting the sign post for £30.
  6. Additional plaque re Village of Year prize. To consider whether this plaque should be obtained. The approximate cost would be £320 from Signs of the Times.
  7. Sir John Keeling seats, clean and make up ground around (Cllr Rand to report)
  8. Redecorate noticeboard and replace one handle (volunteer)
  9. Repair top end of Green where grass has been eroded (volunteer)
  10. Remove post attached to mountain ash tree on lower Green
  11. 2011/12 budget for Village Green
F10/11.27

Sportsfield, Sportsfield Car Park, Ladybird Lane

  1. Manhole covers at car park and disabled parking areas
  2. Car park culvert
  3. Front fence
  4. Ladybird Lane/entrance to Sportsfield car park
  5. Structures on Sportsfield car park ie blue container (approved by Parish Council - football items); yellow/red container (not approved - cricket items - Societies Association might want to take it over for storage of fete items but planning permission would be required); 40'x10' portacabin (not approved - redundant unless Societies Association take it over after the roof is repaired - planning permission would be required; small shower portacabin - belongs to Sedlescombe Football Club but now redundant (not approved); garage - belongs to Sedlescombe Sports Association - ready to move to next to pavilion.
  6. Rubbish around Sportsfield car park
  7. Car park ditch
  8. Repair of kissing gate at entrance to Sportsfield (volunteer)
  9. Other miscellaneous work
  10. 2011/12 budget for Sportsfield, Sportsfield Car Park, Ladybird Lane
F10/11/28

Bus shelter (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 9)

  1. Litter/sweeping. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £130 (26 times p.a.)
  2. Repairs
  3. 2011/12 budget for bus shelter
F10/11.29

Dog bins (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 9)

  1. Dog bin emptying. The Parish Council has agreed that Rother DC should undertake this work for £6 for emptying three dog bins each week.
  2. Bin at sportsfield. Either replace lid of dog bin [Lid Kit £36.20] at Sportsfield or provide new larger dog bin [Our bin is 25L and costs£84.24 including delivery. The 35L bin is £183.09 including delivery]
  3. Bin at Brede Lane Car Park. Replace front sign (£10)
  4. Bin at entrance to Riverside Playing Field. Power wash to remove lichen (volunteer)
  5. 2011/12 budget for dog bins
F10/11.30

Seats

  1. Removal of graffiti from 2 Church Hill Seats (volunteer). Quotation received from R Wood for £20
  2. Replace wooden slat on back of seat in Brede Lane (volunteer). Quotation received from R Wood for £10.
F10/11.31 Rights of way (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 9)
F10/11.32

Riverside Playing Field (maintained by the Parish Council under agreement with the Trust) (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 10)

  1. Litter collection. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £325 (26 times p.a)
  2. Fence repair. 2010/11 quotation received from R Wood for £40 for paling and white posts.
  3. Playground inspections. Previously carried out by ROSPA.
  4. Mowing. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £880 (up to 16 times for area outside playground and 20 times inside playground).
  5. Hedgecutting. 2010/11 and 2011/12 quotations received from R Wood for £30 for each year.
  6. Adjust gate to Riverside Playground. (Cllrs Martin/Marland)
  7. Playground equipment
    1. Adjust ropes on Horizontal rope ladder and Rope bridge at Riverside Playground. (Cllrs Martin/Marland)
    2. Smooth off sharp edges at one end of log on rope bridge at Riverside Playground (volunteer)
    3. Fill hole where steering wheel has been removed on Toddler Slide at Riverside Playground (volunteer)
    4. Redecorate slide supports of Play Tower where rust is emerging at Riverside Playground (volunteer)
    5. Secure base of fireman's ladder at Riverside Playground (volunteer)
    6. Removal of graffiti. Quotation received from R Wood for £20.
  8. Tennis courts
    1. Minor adjustments to tennis courts netting (volunteer)
    2. Sweep tennis courts. Quotation received from R Wood for £20.
  9. Tree work - contingency figure to be included.
  10. Moles. Removal of moles from the area can only be guaranteed for 7 days.
  11. Attend to and rescrew signs to tree at Riverside (volunteer)
  12. Replace plastic tarpaulin on top of litter bin at Riverside and decorate wood panels (volunteer)
  13. 2011/12 budget for Riverside Playing Field
F10/11.33 Weedkilling (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 11). Quote for 2011 season received from Languard Ltd.
F10/11.34 Grants to others (see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 11)
F10/11.35

Brede Lane Car Park(see expenditure report April-Sept 2010, page 11)

  1. Grounds Maintenance Agency agreement with Rother District Council expiring 30/03/11
  2. Mowing. 2011/12 quotation received from R Wood for £300 (up to 20 times/season).
  3. Tree work. Agency agreement requires the Parish Council to look after young trees.
  4. Redecoration of frame of tourist sign on wall of public conveniences (volunteer)
  5. 2011/12 budget for Brede Lane Car Park
F10/11.36 Parish Council laptop. With Cllr Irwin.
F10/11.37 First draft of 2011/12 budget (see income and expenditure reports and summary).
F10/11.38 Parish Council Signatories. Committee to note that, with the resignation of Ralph Dellow and expected resignation of Mary Irwin, two signatories for Council accounts will no longer be available leaving just Cllrs Wright and Glew. NB Two signatures are required on each account.
F10/11.39

Audit of Accounts

  1. Internal audit of 2009/10 accounts. Noted that Angela Alexander has been appointed to carry out the internal audit of the 2010/11 accounts at the cost of £125.
  2. Effectiveness of the 2009/10 internal audit. To resolve: That the Council is satisfied that Mrs Bennett was independent and competent in carrying out the internal audit of the Parish Council’s 209/10 accounts, that the Audit Plan was appropriate and completed, that Mrs Bennett’s report to the Council was clear and that it was effective in giving the Council confidence in its financial procedures. 

Mrs P J Raymond

Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer

Sedlescombe Parish Council

01424 870508

E-mail: sedlescombe@freezone.co.uk

Website: www.sedlescombe.org.uk

11 October 2010