SPC logoFull Council Minutes

MEETING ON 10 SEPTEMBER 2013 IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL 19:00 to 20:30

PRESENT:
Chair - Cllr J Vine-Hall, Vice-Chair - Cllr P Glew
Cllrs Anson, Chapman, Eldridge, Fraser, Lawrence, Parsons, Reynolds
Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer - Pauline J Raymond

Also present: PCSO Demetrius Georghiou (beginning only); Sue Walton; District Councillor Ganly

THE FOLLOWING RESPONDED TO THE CHAIRMAN'S INVITATION TO SPEAK:

PCSO Demetrius Georghiou. Demi reported a fairly quiet couple of months in Sedlescombe, although he had been very busy covering for other PCSOs. Sedlescombe incidents included - a car fire, anti-social behaviour of various kinds, a drug problem, travellers, road traffic collisions. He had obtained Police funding for pre-school and Pestalozzi.

Sue Walton, Chief Executive at Pestalozzi International Village reported that, by the start of term the previous day, all students had arrived apart from new ones from Belize and Uganda who were having trouble with their visas. She was hopeful they would arrive before half term. She said it was really good to have the youngsters back.

The Chairman thanked Sue for agreeing to lend Pestalozzi display boards to the Parish Council for the forthcoming Exhibition and also for her advice on the proposed displays.

55 APOLOGIES. None. (County Cllr Angharad Davies had sent her apology because she is recovering from a knee operation.)

56 DECLARATION OF INTERESTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE 2012 CODE OF CONDUCT IN MATTERS ON THE AGENDA. None declared.

57 WRITTEN REQUESTS FOR DISPENSATION IN ADDITION THAT GRANTED AS FOLLOWS:

None received.

58 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION. No public present.

59 MINUTES. RESOLVED: That the Chairman is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Council held on 27/08/13.

60 COMMITTEE MEETINGS. RESOLVED: That the Minutes of the Meetings of the Planning Committee held on 09/07, 30/07, 27/08/13 are received.

61 FINANCE

  1. Bank Reconciliation. RESOLVED: That the Bank Reconciliation at the end of August is approved.
  2. Cheques. RESOLVED: That the payment of the August 2013 cheque list is ratified and the September 2013 (updated) cheque list approved. Details here.

It was noted that the 6 months' investment in The Co-operative Bank had now matured and the money had been deposited in the Council's Barclays Current Account.

62 TRAINING. Cllrs Lawrence and Fraser had attended a recent SALC training session at Ticehurst which they had found useful. However, they felt the venue was not ideal and mentioned that those attending were hard to please as several people had walked out.

63 CHOICE OF NAME FOR NEW DEVELOPMENT OFF THE STREET AT REAR OF KESTER HOUSE. Despite the developer's choice of name being Park View which was the name of the old house that had been on the site, members felt there were too many other roads with "Park" in the name in Sedlescombe. That is the established "Park View" and the new developments recently named "Oaklands Park" and "Park Farm View". The Council agreed that a name linked to the very long association of the site with the Battle Abbey Tannery would be suitable. Suggestions of Tannery Close or Tanyard or Old Tannery were made and would be passed on to Rother District Council.

64 SPORTSFIELD. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13. The Clerk will arrange for the following items to be included on the agenda of the next Sports Association meeting in October.

  1. Appointment of trustees
  2. Gating off the disabled area. RESOLVED:That, if agreed by the Sports Association, the Parish Council will arrange for gates to be installed by D&B Fencing across the entrance to the disabled car park at the cost of £500 plus VAT. Sports Association to be asked to make a contribution towards the cost.
  3. Proper signs regarding public use of the Sportsfield should be provided by the Sports Association.
  4. Sports Association's clearance of ditch to include SPC's area of responsibility at the rear of the car park (to include Pestalozzi's ditch at the eastern end of the field also).
  5. Portacabin. By the next SPC meeting on 12/11/13, SPC wants the Sports Association to provide a definite proposal and plans to link the blue container and the portacabin and to make it usable for the children playing football at that end of the Sportsfield. Otherwise, the portacabin should be emptied and removed without delay. Cllr Anson to press this point at the meeting. It was noted that the Garden Society is storing its marquee in the portacabin and the portacabin's removal would cause storage problems at the Sportsfield.
  6. The Sports Association had been going to make some arrangements in 2012 to separate waste collected at the Sportsfield and to introduce some recycling arrangements. Nothing has been heard.

65 PUBLIC PLAYING FIELD & RECREATION GROUND.

  1. MUGA. Finished apart from installation of posts and net. RESOLVED: That the Parish Council will pay 50% of the cost of new posts as the old posts were lost during the resurfacing work. Should be able to be opened this week.
    Members considered whether dog training should be one of the uses allowed at the MUGA. There was only one vote in favour of this and, therefore, dog training will now not be allowed on the MUGA
    The Clerk/RFO was left to arrange an informative sign on the use of the MUGA for installation on the gate. It was agreed that events at the MUGA should also be advertised on the fence.
  2. Land beside MUGA. Various plans were being put forward for this land ie Secondhand Astro Turf (Ashley Davey); skate ramp (Youth Club). Cllr Anson suggested the idea of building two dwellings on the land should be investigated. RESOLVED: That the Playing Field Trust should look at the options for the land next to the MUGA.
  3. Playground inspections by councillors. Continuing.
  4. Professional playground inspection. Detailed in Inspection report and some work completed by working party (5 below).
  5. Playground working party. Cllr Chapman and other councillors who had helped were congratulated on the work they had done at the Riverside Playground recently.
  6. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13. The Clerk will obtain quotes for tree work at the Playing Field, replacement of a junior swing seat and replacement of the white plastic posts. To be considered by the Finance Committee.

66 VILLAGE GREEN

  1. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13.

67 BREDE LANE PUBLIC CAR PARK AND CONVENIENCES

  1. Following the last Council meeting, Malcolm Johnston, Director of Resources at Rother, had written in reply to the Clerk's letter explaining that the Parish Council had not made a decision, saying that Rother needs to press on with devolution or alternative usage of rural car parks and that he would therefore look at alternative uses of the Sedlescombe car park and toilets and come back to the Parish Council for further discussion before any action is taken.
  2. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13.

68 EAST VIEW TERRACE KICKABOUT AREA

  1. Kickabout Area inspections by councillors continuing.
  2. Kickabout Area working party. Details in the Inspection Report.
  3. Quotes for replacement of signs on the fence and for increasing the number of cuts to 10 next season will be obtained for consideration of the Finance Committee.
  4. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13.

69 RED BARN FIELD

  1. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13. Clerk/RFO to include cutting around the picnic table in the Landscape Services contract.

70 OTHER INSPECTION SITES

  1. Bus Shelter. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13. The Bus Shelter Section is on page 7.
  2. Seats and litter bins. The Clerk provided a written detailed Report on the Annual Inspection by Cllrs Glew, Fraser and herself which had taken place on 02/09/13. Clerk to obtain a quote for a covered litter bin to replace the damaged one beside the seat in Brede Lane.

The following relating to several places in the Village was agreed. For further consideration as required of the Finance Committee in October:

  1. Quote from Landscape Services for next year's grass cutting, weedkilling and litter collection. As the 2012 regime apart from Kickabout Area which is to be increased to 10 cuts pa and strimming to be done around the picnic table in Red Barn Field Nature Park.
  2. Quote for professional inspection of trees at Playing Field, Village Green, Red Barn Field and Kickabout Area.
  3. Use of the MUGA by tennis coach(es), netballers, footballers and to advertise as in the report. At weekends, booked use of the MUGA will be restricted to Saturday mornings until the spring.
  4. Volunteer work. Detailed in Inspection Report.

71 SEDLESCOMBE NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN. Cllr Vine-Hall gave details of arrangements for the forthcoming Exhibition on 14/15 September. Cllrs Vine-Hall, Fraser and the Clerk had produced the display material. All print material now done thanks to Rother DC and Pumphouse Designs. Thanks to the Garden Society, Pestalozzi and Rother DC for the loan of presentation boards. Thanks to Sue Walton for proof reading the display material and making useful suggestions for alterations.

Councillors had been e-mailed the display material and were asked to read it carefully before Saturday. They were reminded that they will be bound by the Code of Conduct while representing the Parish Council at the Exhibition and that they should ensure they do not give the impression that the Council has made its choice regarding the sites. Although they may be predisposed to hold a view in favour of or against a site, they must not appear to be biased or predetermined and should treat all sites equally when speaking to the public. Declarations of councillors' pecuniary interests relating to sites will be displayed as people enter the Hall.

The Clerk also emphasised that the Register of Electors must be kept secure as it is not a public document.

Attendees will be asked to complete one of two forms, depending on whether they are resident or not. Residents will eventually have to vote on the Neighbourhood Plan referendum and, therefore, they will be asked to choose their top 5 sites and to rank them in order of preference. Also to mark sites that they do not want to be developed. Everyone, whether residents or not, will be able to comment on each of the sites.

The display material will be put on the www.sedlescombe.org.uk website after the Exhibition. People can contact the Clerk for a form to complete and return before Friday 18 October 2013.

Chairman

Date