MEETING ON TUESDAY 10 DECEMBER 2013, SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL, COMMITTEE ROOM 2 18:30 to 19:07
PRESENT: Cllr J Reynolds (Chairman)
Cllrs P Anson, R Chapman, J Parsons
Ex-officio members: Cllr J Vine-Hall (Chairman of the Council), Cllr P Glew (Vice-Chairman of the Council)
Clerk: Mrs Pauline J Raymond
3 members of the public were present up to the end of agenda item 72.2.
68 APOLOGIES. Cllr Eldridge (indisposed).
69 INTERESTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE 2012 CODE OF CONDUCT. Cllr Anson declared his personal and prejudicial interest in agenda item 72.3 as owner of a neighbouring property.
70 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION RE MATTERS ON THE AGENDA AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION.
Three members of the public ie Robert Farmer, Carole Stelfox and Stan Stelfox attended to raise their concerns about plans to introduce static caravans at the Crazy Lane Caravan Park (agenda item 72.2) in addition to the existing touring caravan use. Their concerns focused on existing sewage disposal problems that are fouling waterways, the likelihood of increasing traffic in Crazy Lane, current noise from users and possible use of the units.
71 MINUTES. RESOLVED: That the Chairman of the Committee is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Meeting of the Committee held on 29/10/13.
72 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
- 9/13/967 Ariel Cottage, Churchland Lane, Sedlescombe. Discharge of Section 106. NB This property was built as a holiday let in 2010 to replace a chalet and caravan on the site. See RR/2009/2234/P for details. Cllr Vine-Hall reported. RESOLVED: That the Parish Council should make no comment on this application.
- RR/2013/2443/P Whydown Farm Caravan Park, Crazy Lane, Sedlescombe. Change of use of land (part of existing caravan site) from use of land for the 12 month siting of 36 holiday touring caravans with 7 month holiday use and 5 month storage use to siting of 20 static holiday holiday caravans with 11 month holiday use. The Clerk reported her discussions with Mark Cathcart (Rother Planning Officer) regarding this application. Subsequently the Solicitor for the applicant had agreed that the application would be withdrawn and re-submitted with a revised description and revised supporting information. It was noted that the intention was to increase the use of the site by 20 static caravans in addition to existing touring caravan use. Because of a change in ownership of part of the land, use of part of the site for storage of caravans will need to be taken into account also.
- RR/2013/2424/P 7 Eaton Walk, Sedlescombe. Relocation of entrance porch from front to side of dwelling. Cllr Anson had earlier declared his personal and pecuniary interest and left the room during consideration of this application. Cllr Eldridge had inspected the application site and had noted that, at the time of his inspection, the pink planning notice was not in place. RESOLVED: That the Parish Council supports approval of this application.
73 APPEALS. None
- RR/2013/2012/P 4 Riverbridge Cottages, The Street, Sedlescombe. Extension of existing cottage to provide additional bedrooms, bathrooms and additional ground floor accommodation. APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS. See Report and Decision Notice.
- RR/2013/1877/P Pond Cottage, Battle Road, Sedlescombe. Proposed two storey rear extension to enlarge lounch and bathroom and form a boot room on the ground floor and enlarge bedroom to the first floor. APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS. See Report and Decision Notice.
- RR/2013/1586/P Blackbrooks Garden Centre, Sedlescombe. Changes to existing canopy to form heated enclosed sales area and erection of replacement canopy in revised location. APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS. See Report and Decision Notice.
- RR/2013/1860/P Ivy Cottage, Brede Lane, Sedlescombe. Erection of dwelling house (alternative to that approved under RR/2013/365/P. APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS. See Report and Decision Notice.
- RR/2013/2091/P Sedlescombe Telephone Exchange, The Street, Sedlescombe. APPROVED WITH CONDITIONS. See Report and Decision Notice.
75 ENFORCEMENT. None
76 EXTRACT FROM RALC MINUTES OF 09/10/13 RE PLANNING INCLUDING ANSWERS TO SEDLESCOMBE PC'S QUESTION. RALC considered a suggestion from Sedlescombe Parish Council on 09/10/13 regarding planning applications. The suggestion was that whenever a parish council wishes to see an application refused, and a planning officer is minded to approve it, the application should be referred to RDC's Planning Committee. According to the RALC Minutes, the Chief Planning Officer had said that "A Notified D Report List is sent to all Members (ie District Councillors) weekly and all Members (ie District Councillors) have the opportunity to initiate the call in procedure. Constitutionally, parishes are unable to call in an application - if they could, the statutory consultees could insist on having the ability also." A problem of course occurs with this arrangement when the District Councillor either does not wish to refer the application to the Planning Committee or is away at the time.
77 REDUCTION IN ROTHER PLANNING DEPARTMENT STAFF. Cllr Vine-Hall reported that he had written to Rother objecting to the reduction in Rother Planning Department staff including the loss of a member of staff in the Planning Department who could help with the provision of maps which are essential in the Neighbourhood Plan process.
78 PRE-APPLICATION ADVICE. Sedlescombe Rangers Football Club would like to use the agricultural field next to Kester House in The Street for a football practice area. It was agreed that the Council should help by obtaining advice from Rother Planning regarding the change of use but only if the Football Club provides a proper proposal and plan of the site.