MEETING ON TUESDAY 15 APRIL 2014 IN COMMITTEE ROOM 2 OF SEDLESCOMBE VILLAGE HALL 18:30 TO 19:00
PRESENT: Cllr J Vine-Hall (Chairman of the Council), Cllr P Glew (Vice-Chairman of the Council), Cllrs P Anson, R Chapman, R Eldridge, J Parsons, J Reynolds
Clerk/RFO - Mrs P J Raymond
1. APOLOGY FOR ABSENCE was received from Cllr L Fraser.
2. INTERESTS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE 2012 CODE OF CONDUCT
- No new requests for dispensation received
- No declarations of interest from councillors
3. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION. No public present.
4. MINUTES OF COUNCIL MEETING. RESOLVED: That the Chairman is authorised to sign the Minutes of the Council Meeting held on 11/03/14.
5. RESIGNATION OF PARISH CLERK. The Council noted the resignation of the current Parish Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer/Website Manager as of 30/06/14.
6. INCREASE IN PARISH CLERK'S SALARY FROM 01/04/14. RESOLVED: That the Clerk's Salary is increased by 1% from 01/04/14 in accordance with current recommendations. This will result in an hourly payment of £13.50/hour and a total salary of £14,044.30 p.a.
7. CLERK'S GRATUITY. The Clerk's Contract requires a termination of employment payment of twice the annual salary at the time of resignation. The Chairman had asked Trevor Leggo of SSALC to investigate whether the Council will need to pay employer's national insurance and whether the gratuity should be taxed by the Council.
8. EQUALITY AND RECRUITMENT POLICY. RESOLVED: That the Parish Council adopts the new "EQUALITY AND RECRUITMENT POLICY" (amended at the meeting) in place of the exiting Equal Opportunities Policy.
9. RECRUITMENT PROCEDURE FOR REPLACEMENT PARISH CLERK/RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER/WEBSITE MANAGER
- SSALC Recruitment Service. RESOLVED: That the quote from SSALC of £250 for helping with the recruitment process is accepted.
- Delegation of implementation of recruitment policy to Staff Committee. No action.
- Approval of Job Description and Person Specification. Members had been provided with copies of the draft job description and person specification. RESOLVED: That the Parish Clerk Job Description and Person Specification should be adopted and should form the basis for the selection process.
- Approval of the Application Form. Members had been provided with copies of the draft application form. RESOLVED: That the Application Form (as amended at the meeting) should be used by all applicants for the Parish Clerk post.
- Advertisement. Members had been provided copies of two draft adverts for use for different purposes. RESOLVED: That the advertisements for the Parish Clerk post are approved.
- Further particulars Members had been provided with further particulars describing Sedlescombe parish. RESOLVED: That the "further particulars" as provided should be used in the new Parish Clerk process.
- Shortlisting and Selection. RESOLVED: That a Shortlisting/Selection Panel of Cllrs Vine-Hall, Glew and Pauline Raymond should carry out the shortlisting/preferred candidate process in accordance with the adopted policy. In the situation where a candidate is a friend, relative or close associate of a member of the Panel, another councillor will take their place.
- Selection Panel. Following interviews, the preferred candidate will be informed, subject to satisfactory references and a satisfactory meeting with other Parish Councillors.
- Structure of the Interview. To take place in accordance with the adopted Equality and Recruitment Policy and with advice from SSALC.
- Final Selection. All being well, the final selection will be made by the Parish Council at a meeting to be held on 27/05/14.
- Handover. Depending on availability of the new employee, Pauline Raymond will hand over to them during June 2014 with a start date of 1 July 2014. SSALC will help with filling in if necessary. It was noted that additional non-budgeted funds will be needed to cover double employment during the handover period.
- Calendar. Because of holidays, recruitment dates are critical and tight. The following was agreed (subject to amendment where needed):
- Wednesday 16/04/14 - publish job vacancy on website and instruct SSALC who will receive questions and applications etc.
- Friday 25/04/14 - publish job vacancy in Battle Observer.
- Thursday 15/05/14, noon - closing date for applications to fill the vacancy.
- Monday 19/05/14 - shortlisting of candidates by Shortlisting/Selection Panel.
- Tuesday/Wednesday 20 and 21/05/14 (if candidates are available) - Interviews and Panel Choice.
- Thursday 22/05/14 - inform preferred candidate and receive employer references.
- Tuesday 27/05/14 - meeting of preferred candidate with Parish Council.
- Monday 02/06/14 to Friday 27/06/14 - proposed handover period.
10. APPRAISAL PROCEDURE. An appropriate appraisal procedure will be adopted.