Annual Parish Assembly
Minutes of the meeting held on
Tuesday 26th April 2016 in Sedlescombe Village Hall 19:00 to 21:00

PRESENT: 103 people were present at the meeting including:

Cllr Jonathan Vine-Hall (Chair of Sedlescombe Parish Council) Chairing the meeting
Parish Councillors Peter Anson, Michelle Brister, Roy Chapman, Pauline Glew, John Page, John Parsons and Debra Veitch
Carol Hodgson (Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer of Sedlescombe Parish Council)
District Councillor Tony Ganly

1. Welcome from the Chairman of Sedlescombe Parish Council
The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting.
For Health and Safety purposes the emergency exits were pointed out in the Village Hall.

2. Apologies for absence
Received from County Councillor Angharad Davies, Andy Waters, Jane Blanford (Sedlescombe Church Bell ringers), Jo Mozley (Sedlescombe Guides), Shirley and Mike Davies (Badminton and Sedlescombe Theatre Club), Hope Gosse, Dorothy Tipper, Mary Ferrier and Clive Smith.

3. Approval of Minutes of Annual Parish Meeting held on 29th April 2014 and 28th April 2015
It was proposed by Reg Glew and seconded by Brian Croucher to approve the Minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting held on 29th April 2014 and 28th April 2015

4.
Reports from the groups and organisations of Sedlescombe
Before moving onto hearing the reports from the groups and organisations of Sedlescombe the Chairman extended thank you’s to the following:
• To all those organisations attending this evening who have done a table display.
• To Rosemary Farley, Sylvia Beaney and Margaret Hudson who, every year, provide us with tea, coffee and biscuits as refreshments.
• To all the local businesses who support the Annual Directory. The Chairman encouraged everyone to try and use these businesses whenever they can.
• To Pump House designs who print the Annual Parish Assembly posters free of charge.
• To all the volunteers who do a wide variety of jobs from delivering bulletins, to supporting Pauline Glew’s lift scheme to Roy Chapman’s band of workers who keep Sedlescombe tidy and well maintained.
• To the Queens Head and the Brickwall Hotel for providing the door prize and the volunteers prize for the 4th year running.
• To our hard working Parish Councillors who have devoted a large amount of time and effort over the year, and last but never least our Parish Clerk Carol Hodgson who, now, after two years has become an invaluable asset to our community.

The Chairman advised at the heart of an Annual Parish Meeting is the right for any resident on the electoral role, or anyone invited, to speak. A number people had already requested to speak. The following were called to speak:-

5. Report of Parish Council Chairman
Cllr. Jonathan Vine-Hall reported:-

6. Prize Draw for Sedlescombe Volunteers by Cllr. Roy Chapman
The winner of the Volunteers Prize Draw is Rosemary Farley as drawn by Cllr. Chapman. Cllr. Vine-Hall thanked Rosemary for all her hard work and the contribution she has made to the Village over many years. Cllr. Vine-Hall also thanked the Brickwall Hotel for donating this prize.

Cllr. Vine-Hall advised that Parish Council's Financial Report had been printed in the Annual Directory and asked for those who had any questions to ask these during the Q and A session or to email The clerk.

Sedlescombe's Got Talent will be on 20th May this year with proceeds going to the Friends of Sedlescombe Church Heritage Trust. Jean Dann has tickets available or they can also be purchased from the Village Shop

7. Question and Answer session
District Cllr. Tony Ganly joined Cllr. Vine-Hall on the stage for a Q and A session.

Q: Why is there not disabled access to the Sports Field? The gates are locked and barred on the main road and at Ladybird Lane.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded that the Sports Field is locked during the week as it is a private field leased to the Sedlescombe Sports Association. Cllr. Anson advised that there is disabled access next to Pavilion but it has to be locked during the week as people park there when walking their dogs.

Q: In the Annual Report and Directory it mentioned that final figures would be available at the Annual Parish Assembly, but they are not. We would like to see a breakdown of the reserves as they have increased significantly.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall advised this information was not ready for the meeting and agreed for The Clerk to email the information and to include it in the next bulletin. Cllr. Vine-Hall explained that Parish Council was building up reserves for replacing assets in the future.
Q: There is not a lot of interest income shown.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall advised this would be looked into and advised in the next Bulletin.
Q: Why won't the County Council reduce the speed limits?
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall explained that ESCC do not have the funds for such schemes. They will 'Match Fund' with Town and Parish Council's. This is the reason why Parish Council is building-up reserves.
Q: To Cllr. Ganly. What is the situation with Highways as they have a new contractor from 1st May, with regard to potholes?
A: Cllr. Ganly answered that this was a question for the County Councillor. As District Councillor he did not have as much information on the situation and would pass this question onto Cllr. Angharad Davies.
Q: The road through the Village is bad with potholes.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded that together with Parish Council, everyone needs to continue to report potholes to Highways so they will be attended to.
Q: What are the new sites proposed for the Neighbourhood Plan that were referred to north of village.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded that the sites referred to are next to and adjacent to the Village Hall. The District Council has not yet reviewed these sites so more information will be available later.
Q: Who is responsible for footpath at Orchard Way? The bridge needs replacing, it is dilapidated and the land is falling away at the sides.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded that ultimately ESCC is responsible, but Parish Council will ask Andy Waters who oversees the local footpaths for Parish Council, to take a look and report it to Highways.
Q: In April Spilstead Airstrip started an appeal against Rother DC's decision to refuse permission for their land raising scheme. Why does the owner need to improve the visibility, it is OK? In Stream Lane where the airstrip is based planes are not generally seen but others in the Village are effected. However Stream Lane will be effected by the 4400 lorry loads of soil to be moved and in an AONB. We need to write to the Inspectorate to dismiss this appeal.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded that Spilstead has applied twice to remodel the airstrip to flatten it out. These are important local issues. Parish Council has objected previously to the planning applications as it is in AONB. There has never been any safety issues.
Comment: There has been an airstrip at Spilatead for at least 40 years but not in the exact position.
A: Cllr. Ganly noted that the subject had been raised recently at Rother DC in relation to Helicopters landing at this site.
Q: How do people know about these planning applications and appeals?
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded the information can be found via Parish Council's agenda and on Rother DC's website. Also to look out for 'Pink Planning' notices. Cllr. Ganly advised the information could also be obtained via 'Rother Alerts' if you subscribe.
Q: Does Parish Council know what really goes on in the Village organisations? If they did they would be providing financial help.
A: Cllr. Vine-Hall responded that Pauline Glew being involved with many organisations is very good at keeping Parish Council abreast of all the key groups. The organisations are always able to come and talk to Parish Council.

8. Prize draw for those in attendance
The winner of the Door Prize Draw is number 83 - Pat Evans as drawn by Mrs. Marian Ham. Cllr. Vine-Hall thanked the Queens Head Pub for donating this prize.

9. End of meeting
Cllr. Vine-Hall invited those attending to stay for refreshments and see the display tables.